Sunday, November 25, 2007

Businesspeople and entrepreneurs

A businessman, businesswoman or businessperson is someone who works in their own business or as a manager in an organization.
Note: The plural of businessperson is businesspeople. Businessperson and businesspeople can also be spelled as two words: business person, business people.
An entrepreneur is someone who starts or founds or establishes their own company. Someone who starts a company is its founder. An entrepreneur may found a serie s of companies or start-ups. Entrepreneurial is used in a positive way to describe the risk-taking people who do this, and their activities. Some entrepreneurs leave the companies they found, perhaps going on to found more companies. Others may stay to develop and grow their businesses.
A large company mainly owned by one person or family is a business empire. Successful businesspeople, especially heads of large organizations, are business leaders or, in journalistic terms, captains of industry.
There is a lot of discussion about whether people like this are born property with leadership skills, or whether such skills can be learned.

Use words from exercise above to complete this text.

The big place at the moment for (1) ________________ is, of course, the Internet. Take
John Pace. 'After an engineering degree at Stanford and an MBA at Harvard, I worked for a
while in a computer games company. But I always felt I was an (2) _____________ _
kind of guy. In 1997, 1 (3) ________ an Internet site for cheap travel: fIights, hotels, renting
cars and so on. I obtained money for investment in the (4) ____ - __ from friends.'
Now the site has 300,000 customers, and Pace is very rich, with a big apartment in Manhattan and a house in the Bahamas. 'I don't want to sell the company,' he says. 'I've had offers from
some big companies, but I want to stay independent. I want to (5) _ the business and do
things my way. Unlike many entrepreneurs, I think I have the (6) skills to lead and inspire a
large organization. I can see the day when I'm in charge of a large business (7) __ .'

Magnates, moguls and tycoons
People in charge of big business empires may be referred to, especially by journalists, as magnates, moguls or tycoons. These words often occur in combinations such as these:
Media, press, shipping, oil ………………….
Movie, media, shipping ……………………..
Property, software …………………………..

(Mascull, Bill: Business Vocabulary in Use, CUP 2002)

No comments: